It’s 8.45 am. You’re running late to work. You’re still home. You start panicking. Buried under a pile of clothes, butt naked, without the slightest idea as to what to wear to work today. Sound familiar? What to do? What to wear? Shit. Shit. Shit.
In a complete mental distress you end up picking the same pair of trousers as you did on Monday, and off you go. Usually it’s a pair of BLACK TROUSERS. You know, putting together outfits for work (if you’re into that) is much like going to the gym. You never do it, yet every day you promise yourself tomorrow’s the day. But it never is. It all sounds so much easier in your head. So I was just thinking today, that instead of fighting our demons, we’d better just dance with them, right?
However fashion prepared we are, when it comes to office style the #1 staple that comes to mind will always be a pair of black trousers. If that’s a good thing or not, is not even the question. They’re boring as fuck, that’s the problem. Yet their apparent boredom does not make them less of a staple, nor does it stray us from choosing them both on desperate occasions as well as willingly when they DO make the perfect office look. So instead of just coming up with office looks for autumn that involve prints, funky patterns, and all-white suits (whatever?), or god knows what new trend and style gimmick, I thought, why don’t we just get real, and talk about the most basic office clothing item ever.Of course we rock all the trends, and we wear chic and sophisticated styles to work, but sometimes we couldn’t care less. This post is for those girls, in those moments…
How to wear black pants to work and not look boring?
- quality fabric is one of the most important things. Black can look worn out, so an expensive looking fabric will give the trousers a posh vibe
- high waist pants. It’s office ladies. The 2000’s are gone.
- perfectly fitted but NOT painted on. Seriously?! Again office, not a club.
- side pockets. A total MUST. They look super sophisticated and just make us seem less awkward and more importante when we keep our hands in them. ;)
- high heels/classic pumps. Well, not always of course, but sometimes just leave it to high heels to literally style elevate any look.
- top wise: simple tee + posh jewelry + big bag + blazer = chic and sophisticated; black sweater + oxfords/heels + trench coat = very French; silky blouse/shirt + delicate or expensive looking jewelry + posh bag + classic heeled pumps = classic rich professional look.
TIP: when going classic and simple, it’s all about the details. For example a pair of great shoes, a great bag, a watch, just the right jewelry, red lips, perfect manicured nails, a messy bun, or ponytail – might just be enough to make a pair of black pants incredibly fabulous. o matter how old the look, not matter how many times you’ve worn them.
You’re safe to wear them at least 2 times a week: 1 time in an all black outfit, and 1 time in a black and white look. Both simple, classic and office appropriate.