Summer is in full swing, which means it’s time to start thinking about all of your fun plans in the weeks and months ahead. And while you might be feeling like summer is just getting started, the 4th of July is just around the corner, so if you’ve been thinking about doing something special for the 4th this year, don’t let it sneak up on you! Whether you’re the type to love a party, or you want to take advantage of the long weekend for a vacation, start your planning now for a really great 4th of July.
Getting the Outfit Just Right
Another fun part of a great 4th of July celebration is in getting a fun patriotic look. Depending on what kind of celebration you’d like best, think about adding some of these items to your summer wardrobe.
- Go over the top for a total Uncle Sam, American flag look at a party. Check out costume stores and other novelty shops to get you whole look just right.
- If you’ll be going to the beach or a pool party, pick out an American flag bathing suit. An American flag bikini will look cute with a regular pair of cut-offs or a white cover-up. Turn it into an evening beach party look with a see-through tee or loose cardigan.
- Go for a classier look by combining red, white, and blue items from your wardrobe. For guys, mix up solids and prints from your wardrobe for a patriotic but fun look. For ladies, combine items like a white dress with a blue cardigan and red necklace and shoes.
- Choose an American Flag dress that you can keep in your wardrobe for seasons to come. Dress it up with a nice white jacket and flats, or dress it down with a grungy cardigan and a cross-body bag. While you might not normally buy something so particularly patriotic, an item like this might come in handy for other occasions like Veterans’ Day and Memorial Day.
Adding in the Right Accessories
Choosing the right accessories for your 4th of July look will depend on the kind of activities you’ll be doing on the 4th.
If you’re going to the beach for your fun 4th of July weekend, don’t leave home without these items:
- Red, white, and blue beach bag, towel, and matching flip-flops or sandals.
- A cute hat to match your outfit. For the girl doing the American flag bikini, something as simple as a summer hat can really compliment your look.
- Fun beach activities like a volleyball or a frisbee.
- Some items to help turn your beach look into an evening look. Pack a simple cover, plain sweater, or a light-weight dress that you can wear as the sun goes down. You might consider adding in a fun piece of red, white, or blue statement jewelry to keep your look feeling fun and patriotic.
- For the guys who feel like going way over the top, you can add in just about as many American flag pieces to your outfit as you want: American flag sweatshirt, swimsuit, hat, etc. You will probably also want something to wear as the evening cools down, so if you don’t want to go around wearing all American flag items, pack something basic like a plain tee shirt and a red jacket or cardigan to keep the look feeling festive without going over the top.
If you’ll be spending your 4th of July at a backyard party or at a bar, you’ll probably want to go in a different direction with your look and accessories. Consider adding in some of the following items to make your look special:
- A pair of bright red heels. They can really compliment a patriotic look and are a great piece to add to almost any wardrobe.
- A scarf or piece of statement jewelry in red, white, or blue can be a great way to get a patriotic look without feeling to over-the-top with your look.
- For guys, if you’ll be going to a nicer event, consider adding in some color to your outfit through your pocket square, cufflinks, or even a boutonniere. This is a different but eye-catching way to get the red into your red, white, and blue outfit.
Whatever look you choose for whichever activity you choose, be sure to check out which clothing companies are donating proceeds to veterans’ benefits. This is a great way to have some fun on the 4th of July while simultaneously giving a little back.